A few months ago, I found myself standing on the edge of my writing career. Up to that point, things had gone OK, but I just didn’t have the success I was dreaming of.
I thought about quitting. I questioned whether I even had what it took to make my dream happen. After all, I’d been at it since 2008, wouldn’t I have made it work by now?
I took a cold, hard look at where I was at and at where I wanted to be. And what I saw shocked me.
I was totally out of alignment with my writing dream.
Sure, I was dreaming and telling myself that I’d get there eventually. But when I looked at my writing habits—they were a mess.
When I looked at my consistency—it didn’t measure up. And, most importantly, when I looked at who I was being and how I was thinking, I realized I needed a serious writing life makeover.
The successful self-published author I dreamed of being would not act or think in the ways I was. It was time for a change.
I overhauled my writing habits, made a commitment to doing the work every single day, and I stepped up to act and think like the author I wanted to be. Within two months of doing that, I became a multi-category best selling author on Amazon and I’ve started selling 1,000+ books a month.
This is no fluke—this happened because I finally got into alignment with the writing life I dreamed of having. I finally stepped up and accepted my mission to change the world with my words.
And it’s been getting better and better ever since.
If you don’t have the success you dream of having, it’s because you’re not in alignment. Alignment is everything.
Think of it this way—if you want to listen to rock music, but you’ve got your radio tuned to the country station, it’s going to be pretty hard to listen to rock music. Right?
Same thing with your writing life. If you want to be a bestselling author, but you’re procrastinating so much that you haven’t even finished writing a book yet, let alone publishing it, you’re out of alignment with that goal.
From the place you’re currently at, it’s not possible for you to be a bestselling author.
But as soon as you get yourself into alignment with that dream—i.e.: finish the book, get it professionally edited and then publish it—you will be able to create the success you dream of having, because your dream will now be within reach of you.
Kinda hard for your dream to reach you when you don’t even have a book out there yet.
So, are you out of alignment with your dream? Here are 5 signs to tell if you are:
- You don’t have a consistent writing practice—habit and consistency are a huge part of being a successful author.
- You’re not seeing real progress every day and/or week—if weeks go by and you’re no closer to where you want to be, that’s an alignment issue.
- You’re playing small—you dream of being a bestselling author, but you refuse to learn how to do marketing because it’s too hard and you don’t understand it. That’s playing small, that’s sabotaging your potential success by being unwilling to do what it takes.
- You regularly succumb to bad writing habits—like skipping your writing session, making excuses, etc.
- You hold beliefs that oppose what you want—it is impossible to achieve something if you hold a belief that says it’s not possible, for example. You’ve got to dig out all of those limiting, opposing beliefs and create new ones that support your writing dream.
Discovering you’re out of alignment isn’t a serious issue, unless you decide not to do anything about it. If you’re ready to get into alignment with your writing dream, check out my book, Butt-In-Chair: A No-Excuses Productivity Guide for Writers Who Struggle to Get Started.
About Jennifer Blanchard
Jennifer Blanchard is a multi-category best selling author on Amazon.
Jennifer is also an alignment, motivation, content strategy and success mindset coach for emerging self-published authors who want to create their dream writing lives on their terms.
You can grab her free inspirational guide: “What It REALLY Takes to Be A Pro Writer” here.
Check out Jennifer's book:
If you have big dreams for your writing, but you’ve been putting them on your “one day” list, you’re not alone.
Butt-In-Chair: A no-excuses writing productivity guide for writers who struggle to get started is an eGuide created to help you sit down and start writing, by giving you concrete writing methods, tools and ideas for getting writing done.
Each section contains:
*Guidance and support–Each section is written to help you work through all the things that hold you back and find effective ways to develop a habit of writing.
*Sit Down and Write!–At the end of each section, there’s a box loaded with writing exercises and journal prompts. All designed to get you writing.
There’s also an Appendix full of printable worksheets and checklists that you can fill out, write all over, tear apart and utilize to help you make the most of the available writing hours you have each day/week.
When you’re writing on a regular basis, your creative well will always be full and you’ll never have to worry about “Writer’s Block.”
This eGuide is designed to do one thing and one thing only: Get you writing on a regular basis!
Latest posts by Radu Balas (see all)
- The Surprising reading habits of Millenials - Apr 1, 2019
- …we have helped hundreds of authors - Oct 20, 2017
- The 50+ Places Where You Need to Promote Your Books – Book promotion ideas - May 15, 2017